Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Nature in the Neighborhood: Sycamore Trees in Brooklyn

Sycamore bark on the sidewalk  Photo:Kristin Harris
Even in major urban centers, natural wonders are as close as the sidewalk. I recently spent time in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn where I always enjoy the proliferation of sycamore trees along the streets and in the parks.

On a hot July afternoon, these wonderful trees that line the street offered much appreciated shade and a beautiful carpet of bark on the sidewalk.

Sycamore tree   Photo:Kristin Harris
This old tree has a wonderful patterned bark that I find endlessly entertaining and the easy way to identify sycamores.


My first really noticed sycamore trees when I walked along the Potomac River as a kid. At River Bend Park, up stream from Great Falls, lovely old sycamore trees reach out over the water to get the most sun. I see them here too in Central Virginia on my walks in the woods and along the Black Water Creek.

Do you have any in your neighborhood?

Kristin Harris

Learn more about my work creating media for kids on my website, www.KristinHarrisDesign.com

In development, Anim8Nature.
Inspiring environmental stewardship with science and art

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Plan Comes Together

It fascinates me that sometimes when inspiration comes, it's everywhere I look. I like that! My challenge to visualize the connection of...