Thursday, February 17, 2022

Creative Jump Start

 

Inspired by artist Swoon, zinnia with Monarch butterfly wings for petals.

Talk about help from my friends, I just finished a free 8 day course (15 minute motivational videos each morning) that was a real inspiration and just what I need to re-define my focus on this project.

A little background on Donna Iona Drozda the creator of the 8-Day Jump-Start Challenge. I met her a number of years ago in Lynchburg, Va when she was coming over from her home in Virginia Beach to teach art classes for kids at the Maier Museum of American Art at Randolph College. We became fast friends and I continue to learn fascinating things about her courageous, adventuresome life. I am in awe of anyone who has managed to make it to Tibet. Iona is an accomplished artist and educator but more than that, a kind, compassionate person.

Each of the 8 days of the challenge had a theme. I’m going to run through these quickly because you may find this approach helpful…even though we have all done it a thousand times unconsciously. My responses follow the daily prompt in blue.

Day One: Identify Your Dream


Express and share the beauty I see in the natural world around me; specifically visualize the connection of all life on Earth


Day Two: Envision; See in your mind’s eye what that looks like


I saw the tree of life as an icon that could express the connections of life.


Day Three: Actively Engage with Research


I reconnected with the treasure trove of Tree of Life imagery and essays. I consulted with artist friends about their own artwork that expresses the idea of the connection of all life and their ideas about other artists work that accomplishes this task.


Day Four: Act, start building


I started working on a series of drawings that included imagery that consisted of objects made up of other creatures parts...flowers with butterfly wings, leaves with feathers. I began combining them in a composite of a Tree of Life image that would reference our connections.





Day Five: Evolve; Have confidence in yourself and keep moving forward


Ok, I'll do my best. I got a film festival rejection email today....everyone does. It's part of the game. What's important is to not let that alter my path or my confidence.





Day 6: Points of Resistance

This was especially enlightening because I have done every one of these with this specific project. Any of these sound familiar to you?

  1. Too busy
  2. Procrastinate
  3. Scared
  4. Defer to someone else
  5. Loose interest
  6. Forgetful…I meant to do that
  7. Disorganization
  8. Space out
  9. Paralized
  10. I can’t because
  11. Impatient, taking too long
  12. People say it’s a waste of time
Very helpful to have to own up to playing this game with myself.

Day Seven: Our doubt limits us. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. 


Hello, thank you for this reminder. I am the captain of my ship.

Day Eight: Grow Up;  Put forth Your Gifts


I have a unique voice and vision.  Even if only one person hears me, it's worth it.



The Tree of Life, version 1,  Kristin Reiber Harris



The is the current iteration of my Tree of Life/we are all connected imagery and the script is in the works. Thank you,  Donna Iona Drozda for sharing your gifts with me.


This is the link to the landing page where one can register for the series: http://www.donnaionadrozda.com/free-challenge-8-steps-to-focus-your-creative-self-expression/


Learn more about my work at KristinHarrisDesign.myportfolio.com or @kristinharrisdesign

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Plan Comes Together

It fascinates me that sometimes when inspiration comes, it's everywhere I look. I like that! My challenge to visualize the connection of...